Malaysia: Admission to UNAdmission to the UN
- Date of UN Membership Application
- Aug 31, 1957
- UN Membership Application Document
- Date of Security Council Vote in Favor of Eligibility
- Sep 5, 1957
- Security Council Resolution
- Date of General Assembly Vote in Favor of Membership
- Sep 17, 1957
- General Assembly Resolution
- United Nations Secretary-General at Time of Admission
- Head of Government at Time of Admission
Malaysia has changed its official name since admission to the UN. According to the Historical Information section of the United Nations Treaty Collection:
"On 16 September 1963, the Permanent Representative of Malaysia to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General the following communication:
"By the Constitutional process of Amendment provided for in Article 159 of the Constitution of the Federation of Malaya carried out recently in both Houses of Parliament with the requisite two-thirds majorities, the name of the State as set out in Article 1 thereof has been changed from "Federation of Malaya" to "Malaysia".
"This Mission has therefore from this date assumed the name of "Permanent Mission of Malaysia to the United Nations".
"I shall be grateful for your having this change noted and also for your bringing it to the notice of all Missions accredited to the United Nations."
Subsequently, the Government of Malaysia confirmed to the Secretary-General that all multilateral treaties, in respect of which he acts as depositary and to which the Federation of Malaysia has become a party either by succession or by ratification or accession, continue to be binding on Malaysia, and that henceforth Malaysia should be listed in the relevant United Nations publications as a party to those treaties."
- Map (linked State)
- Uwazi Features
- Basic Relationship Property
- Relationship Property With Inherited Values